My Road..

My life
is a
crazy, hectic, insane roller coaster ride and on this journey I am learning everyday how to love the Lord, myself, and others. My Jesus said in Matthew 11:29, "Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls." And that is my exact mission. I want to follow God, learn constantly and my goal is to become gentle, humble and peaceful in every aspect of this life. I have an amazing story so far... but God is no where near showing me or the world the ending. :) I am a daughter, smiler, girlfriend, lover, writer, blogger, friend, sister, painter, gardener and I LOVE who I am. On this journey I have one prayer and that is to: "Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love, for I have put my trust in you. Show me the way I should go, for to you I lift up my soul."-Psalms 143:8

I am unsure, unfinished... and I am happy.
I am Kelsey.



Sunday, October 17, 2010

If I was a billionaire...


This past weekend, on my fall break, I went out to lunch in my hometown with my endearing mother and vivacious aunt. During the meal they noticed a couple of young soldiers sitting at the table besides us. They were fully dressed in their normal army decor and were simply enjoying a delicious meal together. My aunt & mother proceeded to "argue" over who was going to secretly pay for their lunch. This is an event that is not unusual for these two extraordinary human beings. My sweet mom told me, for the 1 millionth time, not to stare at the soldiers and let them know it was us because they weren't doing it to be noticed, they were doing it because they were grateful for the young soldiers sacrifice and service. (They are going to kill me for posting this because it was supposed to remain anonymous, but it's for a good-purposed blog ya'll, so forgive me! :)) They paid for the meal in complete anonymity and I watched, from the corner of my eye (since I wasn't allowed to stare), as the soldiers were told what had happened. They were beyond flattered. The young men were humbled. They begged the waitress to tell them who so they could show them thanks, meanwhile my mother and aunt continued in their regular conversation like nothing was happening.


As I watched these young men humbly accept a pure and generous gift of gratitude, my eyes began to fill with tears. I quickly shook them away since I was after all, in public at a nice restaurant during a prime meal time. But I sat in that Chili's booth just thinking of what such a small kind act had just made such a huge impact on those three lives.

When my mom and I got back in the car after lunch I told her how amazing I thought what she and my aunt had done was. My mother is extremely humble and sort of brushed it off because she just doesn't like any attention on herself, which is also admirable.  But I followed by saying, "Mom, if I was a billionaire, I swear I'd do that kind of stuff all the time. I would just drive around to different places and anonymously pay for people's needs or wants."

I've always wondered if I was a billionaire what would I REALLY do with the money? Everybody says they would save the world--but what would I REALLY do? When I saw the humble, thankful smiles on these young men's faces-- the feeling in my heart assured me that if I could afford it I would just want to give the world those same smiles. I truly would love to pay for a table of soldiers to eat or give rides to all the homeless, take every orphan somewhere fun for a day, or even just help a neighbor fulfill their dream. If I had billions of dollars, I would do my best to help the world, one small, kind act at a time. Just like this one.

Even though I am by NO means a billionaire, that's definitely not going to stop me from trying to do what I can now. So I encourage all of you-- see what you can do to just once go out of your way to make a stranger smile? :) Even if it's just a small act.

2 comments:

  1. Aunt Marquette McKnightOctober 23, 2010 at 1:08 PM

    you had me at 'vivacious aunt' :)
    Seriously, your writing is eloquent and articulate - obviously heartfelt which is never a doubt with you - but I greatly value the eloquence and articulation with which you write. Not however, as much as I value YOU. Your heart, your mind, your laugh, your values (and your mother) are incredibly dear to me. I know you are enjoying this gorgeous fall day! I love you Snapper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelsey-
    I'm catching up with reading your blogs today and have really enjoyed them! I can't help but think of my husband, Bob, as I read about Mallory and Marquette paying for the soldiers meal secretly. Bob has done this more times than I can count since I've known him. He never wants the recognition either. That is what I call a "good heart" for sure. Sorry, don't mean to compare but just wanted to share! Take Care of yourself!

    ReplyDelete